Study Text: Matthew 3:7-12
Memory Verse: Pro 3:9-10 “Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the first fruits of all thy increase, so shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thypresses shall burst out with new wine. ”
Tithing is the practice of setting aside 10% of your increase or profit to support the work of God. The first real mention of tithe in the Bible is found in Genesis 14:20 where Abraham gives a tithe to Medchizedek. In Gen 28: 20-22, Jacob also pledge’s a tenth of his substance to God.
Many years later when the Israelites conquered Cannan, the Priest and Levites didn’t get a portion of the land for an inheritance, their livelihood therefore came from the tithes of other tribes who gave them a tenth of their increase to support the priesthood. It is every child of God that is a worker in the vineyard, and it is every worker in the vineyard that is expected to tithe.
1. NON PAYMENT OF TITHE IS ROBBING GOD
God was and is still serious about tithing, considering the withholding of tithe to a form of robbery and theft. Malachi 3:8-9
One might think that living only on the remaining 9/10 of your income does not make sense. But people who follow the tithing practice will always tell you of the wonders inherent in doing it. You must remember that 9/10 of God’s blessing goes even much further than 10/10 without God’s blessing.
As man, we may be afraid of giving up a portion of our income to tithe, God wants us to activate our faith. He says, “prove me“. So if you can just lake God up on this and practice it in faith, you will discover that He is more than able to take care of your needs.
2. SHOULD I TITHE?
Think about it, why would you choose not to return a tithe. Consider here a few of the promises that goes with
your doing it.
- Proverbs 3: 9-10 “Honor the Lord with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase; 10So your barns will be filled with plenty, And your vats will overflow with new wine.“
- Malachi 3: 10-11 “Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this,” Says the Lord of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it. 11 “And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, So that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field,” Says the Lord of hosts;“
- It is to teach us to always put God first. Deut 14: 22-23
- Paying a tenth back makes us to acknowledge that He is the owner of everything in the first place. Psalm 24:1
- That He is the source of all our wealth and it is Him that gives us the enablement to make wealth. Deut 18:18
- Consider also that failure to do it attracts a consequence. Mal 3:9. So why attract curse upon your head. Deut 30: 19.
3. SHOULD I TITHE WHEN I AM INDEBTED?
We must first pay to God that which we owe Him before paying to man that which we owe him. Psalm 50:14-15.
4. WHAT IF MY EXPENSES CANNOT ALLOW ME TO TAKE OUT A TENTH OF MY
God promised to richly bless us if we are faithful in tithing. Malachi 3: 10-11
5. TITHING IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
The principles of tithing in the old Testament is no different from Christ’s teaching on tithe. Mt 23:23.
Apostle Paul also teaches that those who serve at the altar should partake of the things of the Altar, the offerings of the altar come to be, only when the people pay their tithe 1 cor 9: 13-14.
Questions: Can giving generously of our income take the place of tithing?