Table Of Contents
Cresthall- WooCommerce Admin Custom Order Fields or the Admin Custom Order Fields extension allows you to add fields to order for details, notes, dates, and more. These fields can also be used to sort or filter orders in the order dashboard, and are geared towards streamlining and centralizing order information and notes.
By default, these fields can only be viewed by the administrator, but can optionally be included on the customer’s “My Order” page. To learn how to optionally include this information, check out the section on Field Attributes.
- Download the extension from your WooCommerce dashboard
- Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload and select the ZIP file you just downloaded
- Click Install Now, and then Activate
- Go to WooCommerce > Custom Order Fields and read the next section to learn how to use the plugin.
Setup and Configuration
There are no general settings to configure for Admin Custom Order Fields, but there are a few options you can set for each field you create. First, to create a field, go to WooCommerce > Custom Order Fields.
Click “Add Field” and begin creating your order field. The “label” is the field name and will be displayed in the order details. The “description” will be displayed to the user upon hovering over the “?” symbol. The first option to configure will be the type.
- Text – Allows the admin to enter a short string of text for the field. For example, you could use this field to set a group name on a tour (can be used to sort alphabetically or to filter orders).
- Text Area – Allows the admin to enter a long string of text for the field. Useful for notes or customer requests (can be used to sort alphabetically).
- Radio – Creates a list with radio buttons in the order details to select one of the multiple options (can be used to sort alphabetically or to filter orders).
- Select – Creates a drop-down menu in the order details to select one of the multiple options (can be used to sort alphabetically/numerically or to filter orders).
- Checkbox – Creates a list with checkboxes in the order details to select one, several, or all of multiple options (can be used to filter orders).
- Multiselect – Creates a field to select one, several, or all of multiple values in the order details (can be used to filter orders).
- Date – Uses a pop-up calendar to select a date (can be used to sort by date or to filter orders by month).
Sorting can be ascending or descending using alphabetic/numeric sorting.
While creating a select, radio, multi-select, or checkbox type, you will be required to enter default/values. These are the options that will appear for a given field (each value will be an option for the user to select/check). Separate all values with a vertical pipe
| (above entering/Return on your keyboard). If you want to set a default value, enclose the value with a double asterisk,
**before and after the name.
You can also add attributes to an ordered field, which will affect when it is displayed and the potential to use it for sorting or filtering. Multiselect and checkboxes cannot be used for sorting.
- Required – Adds a red asterisk to the field to denote that it should be completed. Is not required to save or complete the order, and is merely a visual cue.
- Display in View Orders Screen – Adds the Order Field to the Orders Dashboard table and allows you to view the selected/entered information all in one screen.
- Allow Sorting on View Orders Screen – Allows you to sort orders alphabetically or numerically based on the field for which this attribute is selected.
- Allow Filtering on View Orders Screen – Allows you to filter orders (view only certain orders) based on the field for which this attribute is selected.
- Show in My Orders/Email – Displays the Order Field to the customer on their “My Orders” page or in emails.
Import and Export
Admin Custom Order Fields can be imported and exported from orders, as they’re stored as order metadata. While many importers and exporters can include order meta (post meta), here are some plugins that have dedicated compatibility added for Admin Custom Order Fields, with no action or custom code needed from the merchant.
Customer / Order CSV Export Compatibility
WooCommerce Admin Custom Order Fields is compatible with our Customer/Order CSV Export extension. Custom order fields can be added to your order CSV custom formats, or they’ll automatically be included in any built-in formats as new columns. In either case, the value for the custom field will be included for the order in each row, such as the text entered, the option selected, or a “Yes / No” for checkboxes.
When using a custom format, you’ll be able to add your custom fields as new columns into the export file, then name your columns accordingly. You’ll need to know the ID of your custom field.