Table Of Contents
- Where to Buy Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha
- The Design and Display
- The Cameras
- Hardware and Software
- The Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha Price and Availability
- Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha Specs
Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha dares to be different. It is a foldable mobile phone with a difference. Apart from being foldable, this device features a surround screen that encompasses almost every part of the smartphone. It is the first of its kind. In this article, we explore the Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha specs and Price.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha
Jumia Nigeria | Jumia Kenya | Jumia Ghana
Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha Key Specs & Features
- 7.92 inch, Flexible Super AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 2088 X 2250 pixels (388 PPI)
- Android 10, MIUI 11
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+
- 12GB RAM
- 512GB built-in storage, with no support for Micro-SD expansion
- 108MP + 12MP + 20MP Tri Rear Camera.
- Selfies are taken with the rear cameras.
- 4G LTE
- Fingerprint sensor (under Display)
- 40W fast charging
- 4050mAh non-removable Li-Po battery
The Design and Display
Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha features a very futuristic design that may soon become a trend. It is the first smartphone in the world to attempt a surround screen design.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha spots a 7.92-inch Flexible super AMOLED display with a screen resolution of 2088 x 2250 pixels. This display has a Pixel density of 388 PPI.
Although Xiaomi debuts the Mi Mix Alpha to being the world’s first smartphone with a surround screen design, it doesn’t screen all the way. The camera module on the rear hinders the surround screen design.
The surround screen mechanism eliminates room for the hardware button. Instead of having a hardware volume control and power button, the Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha makes use of pressure-sensitive buttons on the side of the display. Network signal and battery levels are also displayed on the side.
Apart from debuting as a smartphone with a surround screen, the Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha is also a foldable smartphone. Unfolding the Mix Alpha turns it from a smartphone into a tablet.
As at the times this article, there was no word on IP rating or the durability of the Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha. Although mere looks tell a lot about this phone.
A smartphone wrapped with a screen, screams fragility. This fact puts a question mark on the practicality of this smartphone.
Smartphones are devices handy devices that are either in our pockets or in our hands. Having an all-screen smartphone for day to day tasks may be very risky.
Being the first smartphone to feature an all-screen design isn’t the only title the Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha bears. The Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha is also the first smartphone in the world to feature a 108MP camera sensor.
This mobile phone features a triple camera system on the rear. This triple camera system comprises of a 108 megapixels primary shooter from Samsung, with an aperture of F/1.7.
A 12 megapixels telephoto camera with an aperture of F/2.0 and a 20 megapixels ultrawide angle camera with an aperture of F/2.2.
The primary camera on the Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha is capable of shooting 3240p videos at 30fps, 2160p videos at 30 and 60fps. This device also lets you shoot 1080p videos at 30,120,240 and 960fps.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha was designed in such a way that you can use the rear cameras for taking selfies. All you have to is flip the phone to the rear and use the screen on the back as a viewfinder.
Hardware and Software
Having the best of flagship specs is paramount for a smartphone of this calibre. The Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha is packed with specs that are going to leave it relevant for a couple of years.
Power-hungry features require very powerful internal hardware. Having this kind of surround display, The Xiaomi Mi Mix needs to have top-notch hardware to drive the pixels.
The Xiaomi Mix Alpha features a 7 nano-meter Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+ processor. The chipset features tri-cluster architecture with 2.96GHz single-core, 2.42GHz tri-core and 1.85 GHz quad-core processors respectively.
This device also features an Andreno 640 GPU. 12GB of RAM, 512GB of UFS 3.0 internal storage, with no room for micro-SD expansion.
It has support for 5G connectivity, features a 4050mAhn battery and a 40W wired fast charging mechanism. On the software side, the Xiaomi Mix Alpha runs MIUI 11 on top of Android 10. As at the time this article was written, there was no new of future OS updates.
Does the Xiaomi Mi Mix feature a headphone jack? certainly not. With a lot of smartphone manufacturers formulating excuses for the removal of the headphone jack on their smartphones, the Absence of a headphone on this device isn’t a surprise. All screen no space for a headphone jack.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha features Bluetooth 5.0, Dual-band Wifi, and a USB Type-C 1.0 connector.
The Xiaomi Mix Alpha also has support for the 5G network. In future when a lot of network providers begin providing 5G signal, you will be able to use a 5G network on this device.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha Price and Availability
Reading through this article, you must have noticed I repeated the world futuristic a lot. Well, it was for a reason.
The Xiaomi MiMix Alpha is actually a prototype smartphone, Xiaomi is using to test their capabilities of making foldable smartphones. The chances of this smartphone entering the consumer market are very slim.
Although no word was given on this smartphone going on sale, the Xiaomi Mix Alpha has a price tag of $2800, which is about 1.2 million in Naira.
Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha:
- Platform: Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI 11
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+ (7 nm)
- GPU: Adreno 640
- Memory: 12GB RAM
- Colours: All screen
- Dimension: 154.4 x 72.3 x 10.4 mm (6.08 x 2.85 x 0.41 in)
- Weight: 241 g (8.50 oz)
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM, dual stand-by
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 7.92 inches Flexible Super AMOLED display. 2088 x 2250 pixels (388 ppi)
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 108 MP, f/1.7, (wide), 1/1.33″, 0.8µm, PDAF, Laser AF
12 MP, f/2.0, 54mm (telephoto), 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, Laser AF, 2x optical zoom
20 MP, f/2.2, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/2.8″, 1.0µm, Laser AF
- Rear Camera Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Front Camera: uses rear cameras for selfies
- Built-in Storage: 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500) – China
- 5G: Yes, SA / NSA / Sub6 / mmWave; N41/N78/N79
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes (up to 2 Gbps downloads)
- 5G: Yes (2+ Gbps downloads)
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: –
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Type C 1.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Under Display, Optical)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (with dedicated mic)
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 4050 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 40W Fast Charging